Goal 1: Expand student knowledge and skills in the field of biological sciences with an emphasis on microbiology.
Objective 1: Expand the basic science foundation.
Students will learn in-depth concepts of biology with focus on
microbiology through various graduate courses. This knowledge will
provide students with insight into the complexity of microbiology and
Objective 2: Research methods and laboratory skills.
Students will be exposed to various research techniques through
their own research projects and by taking courses with the laboratory
components. Via their exposure to research, students will obtain
hands-on experience on modern technology information and scientific
methods, while enhancing their understanding on the applicability of
Objective 3: Integrate the acquired knowledge and skills
Students will develop and comprehend the linkage between the
knowledge and its application in research. Furthermore, students will
recognize the application and limitations of scientific findings.
Specifically, students will:
- Demonstrate the solid foundation of understanding biological and microbiology systems.
- Demonstrate understanding the updated bio related information and technology.
- Demonstrate understanding the research methods and developing the laboratory skills.
- Learn to identify gaps and limitation in biological
knowledge, scientific hypothesis, data analysis and interpretation, and
Goal 2: Develop and complete a research project as well as communicate the findings effectively using written and oral formats
Objective 1: Develop and execute a research project by applying the acquired knowledge and skills
Students will learn to perform effective scientific literature
searches and develop the skill of collecting information relevant to
their research projects. In addition, students will develop the ability
to construct hypotheses, utilize critical thinking to identify gaps in
knowledge, and formulate scientific questions. Students with Research
Thesis will also perform experiments, analyze and interpret data, and
draw logical conclusions. Biostatistics, a core requirement for the
course, will allow students to analyze and interpret scientific findings
accurately and effectively.
Objective 2: Communication.
Students will communicate their scientific observations, analyses
and discussion in both written and oral format, typically required by
their future professions.
Specifically, students will:
- Demonstrate the ability to read, understand, and critically review scientific papers
- Demonstrate the ability to identify questions that can be addressed scientifically
- Demonstrate the ability to select and use appropriate techniques and methodologies to do research
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully complete laboratory procedures
- Demonstrate the ability to successfully abide to laboratory rules and regulations
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret data and draw conclusions scientifically
- Demonstrate the ability to select, use, and cite the
appropriate articles from literature search for their oral presentation
and the written thesis as well as the final defense.
Goal 3: Equip students with knowledge and skills necessary to pursue careers in the field of microbiology
Objective 1: Professional and Career Development
Students will be able to implement the knowledge, skills and values
of biological sciences into occupational pursuits, making them
attractive candidates in the job market.
Objective 2: Perpetuate learning in the field of Biology beyond graduation
Students will be able to continue their self-education by applying
the learned knowledge and skills responsibly, in their professional
environments. This will enhance the students’ understanding of the
national and global issues related to the biological sciences, and
provide them with an indispensable role in contributing to the
resolution of such issues.
Specifically, students will apply learned knowledge and skills in
selecting paths for further studies or formulating career choices.
Students will recognize and understand the complexity and impact of
scientific advancement for the society, and act responsibly.