Our Relationship with the Archdiocese of Newark
Seton Hall, also known as The Catholic University of New Jersey, came into existence shortly after the Archdiocese of Newark was established in 1853. The school was named after Mother Elizabeth Ann Seton, the first American-born saint and the aunt of Bishop James Roosevelt Bayley. Bayley was the original Bishop of Newark (1853-1872) and founder of Seton Hall College. Response by Archbishop Myers to Recent Media Coverage
The Most Rev. John J. Myers, the Archbishop of Newark, who also serves as the Chairman of Seton Hall’s Board of Trustees and the President of its Board of Regents, has made the protection of children a principal responsibility of his service to the Archdiocese. Recently, the local media have reported unsubstantiated allegations involving Archbishop Myers’ oversight of a now-deceased priest in Peoria, Ill., when he served as the Bishop there a number of years ago. The following documents have been posted online to provide more accurate and balanced information regarding this matter:
Our Relationship with the South Orange and Maplewood Communities
In 1860, Bishop James Roosevelt Bayley purchased a 60-acre portion of the 125-acre Elphinstone Estate in South Orange on behalf of the Archdiocese of Newark. At this time Seton Hall College attained a permanent site, and became an official enterprise when it was incorporated by act of the state legislature on March 8, 1861.
Seton Hall University has evolved as a cornerstone of South Orange. The Student Liaison Committee of Seton Hall University's Student Government Association works hand-in-hand with the Village of South Orange to bring together the two groups and discuss issues important to all. On July 3, 2005 WSOU radio station was a part of the historic Two Towns in Harmony neighborhood village event, and provided giveaways.
There are more than two dozen churches, synagogues and Islamic cultural centers in the South Orange area for people of all faiths.