Federal Verification Procedure
After completing the FAFSA, the Federal Processor determines who is selected for verification. If selected by the Federal Processor, the student is notified on the Student Aid Report (SAR) also via messaging from the Office of Financial Aid and will be required to submit documentation to the school. The required documents will be listed on the Profile and Finances tab within PirateNet. Additionally, please note that if information on the FAFSA appears to show a conflict, the Office of Financial Aid will additionally have the authority to select files for verification.
The verification process requires that you submit of signed copy of your Tax Return or Tax Return Transcript. If you need a copy of your tax return, please visit the IRS website at www.irs.gov or call 1-(800) 829-1040 and request a Tax Return Transcript. The Tax Return Transcript will be sufficient in lieu of an actual copy of your tax return. All tax documents should be signed and include the student ID number on the top of each document. Additional documentation may be deemed necessary on a case-by-case basis.
All students are strongly encouraged to submit documents and complete verification within the specified two week deadline required by the Office of Financial Aid. Additional references to deadline dates can be found on the Office of Financial Aid website. Along with required deadlines, Federal verification regulations include the following:
- Federal financial aid, including Federal Direct Student Loans, cannot be disbursed until verification is complete.
- Verification may result in corrections that change your award amounts.
- Alternative/Private Loans will not be certified until verification is complete.
- Estimated financial aid awards may be removed if verification is not completed within specified deadlines.
- Institutional Need-Based awards, offered based on the availability of funds, may be canceled if verification is not completed by the deadlines specified on the Office of Financial Aid website.
For eligibility of the NJ Tuition Aid Grant (TAG), the federal verification process would have to be completed by the state deadlines of 10/1 for fall awards and 3/1 for spring awards.
Please note that if you decide to not complete Federal verification, payment of tuition, fees, housing and meal charges must be submitted directly to the Bursar Office.
March 22, 2023