Employment Options for J-1 Students

Office of International Programs
Students holding a J-1 visa must contact the J-1 sponsor that issued their DS-2019 form to request permission for employment, either on campus or off-campus. All employment must be approved in writing by your J-1 sponsor before employment begins. Some J-1 students may not be eligible for any form of employment due to the restrictions of an exchange agreement. Check with OIP for details.

On-campus Employment

A J-1 student may engage in up to 20 hours of on-campus employment if the student has maintained a full-time course of study (12 credits for undergraduates, eight credits for graduate students, three credits for dissertators) and is otherwise maintaining status.

  • All on-campus employment must be authorized in advance of beginning employment in writing by the J-1 sponsor for students. Such employment may include jobs in the SHU university center, the libraries, recreational centers, and in academic or administrative departments.

  • On-campus employment may be full-time during vacation periods (winter, spring, and summer breaks) for students who have maintained full-time status before the vacation and intend to register for full-time study the following semester. Students are not required to enroll for classes during the summer period.

Off-campus Employment

Students can request permission to work off-campus when it becomes necessary because of serious, urgent, and unforeseen economic circumstances which have arisen since acquiring exchange visitor status. Need for off-campus employment must be fully documented to the satisfaction of the OIP, and authorized in writing by the OIP. Employment will be limited to 20 hours/week while school is in session, full-time during vacation periods (winter, spring, and summer breaks), providing full-time registration has been maintained both before and after the vacation.

Academic Training

J-1 students in an academic program may engage in Academic Training. Academic Training is employment related to the field of study . It must be approved by both the student's academic advisor and the OIP.

  • Students may engage in Academic Training either before or after completion of studies.

  • Students in a pre-doctoral program may engage in up to 18 months of Academic Training, or the period of full course of study, whichever is shorter.

  • Students who complete a Ph.D. program and are offered a post doctoral research or teaching position at an academic or research institution or work in private industry may be authorized for up to an additional 18 months of Academic Training.

  • Academic Training authorized before program completion may be unpaid or paid; after completion, Academic Training must be paid unless your sponsor approves unpaid Academic Training.
Contact Us

Office of International Programs
(973) 761-9072
Fax (973) 275-2383
Presidents Hall Rm. 9

Sign In to PirateNet