Be Aware. Be Prepared. Take Action.
The Department of Public Safety and Security is committed to helping our members enjoy a safe and secure environment both on campus and off. Campus safety and security is everyone's responsibility.
Off-Campus Safety Tips
- There is safety in numbers, travel in groups whenever possible.
- Always let someone know where you are going. Carry a cell phone with the emergency numbers pre-programmed:
PUBLIC SAFETY (973) 761-9300 SOUTH ORANGE POLICE (973) 763-3000
IN AN EMERGENCY DIAL 911
- Take advantage of campus provided transportation. Take the SHUFLY shuttle, the SafeRide or use public transportation.
- Using alcohol or other drugs impairs your judgment. Be responsible.
- If you are approached by someone who demands your property, cooperate. Your immediate safety is worth more than the value of any property that you may surrender.
- Promptly report all crimes to the South Orange police department. The information that you provide may assist them in preventing similar crimes.
On Campus Safety Tips
- Do not leave your property unattended. Theft is the number one crime on all college campuses.
- Learn the locations of our emergency phones from the map.
- Pre-program emergency numbers into your cell phone.
- If you see or hear something suspicious, call and we will investigate.
- Residence hall doors should be kept locked at all times. Never bolt or prop them open.
- Have your keys in your hand ready when walking to your car.
- When parking on campus do not leave valuables out in plain view in the passenger compartment. Lock them in the trunk or glove compartment.
- There is safety in numbers. Travel in groups both on campus and off.
- If you are concerned about your safety while traveling on campus, use the campus escort service which is available 24 hours a day by calling public safety at (973) 761-9300.
- Register for Pirate Alert to guarantee that you will be informed of important emergency information.