Office of Student Employment

FAQ's for Students


Who can work?
Graduate and Undergraduate students are eligible to work as long as they are registered at least half-time in a matriculating program.  Here at Seton Hall half-time for Undergraduate students is 6 credits and half-time for Graduate students is 5 credits.

When can I start working?
Students are not permitted to begin working until they have received official confirmation e-mail from the Student Employment Office. This e-mail is generated and automatically sent once their paperwork has been processed and given access to the Kronos system to complete a timesheet.  Students are prohibited from working prior to the processing of the hiring proposal and receiving final approval.Violationof this policy will result in the loss of Federal Work Study funding eligibility.

Do I have to apply every year even if I worked for a department the year before? 
Yes.  Students are hired based on eligibility for a specific period of time.  Once the end date on this assignment is reached, the student is no longer authorized to work.  Supervisors are required to complete a hiring proposal every fiscal year.

Can I have more than one position on campus?
No.  Students are only permitted 1 position on campus regardless of the number of hours they are working.  Students   working for a special program and receives a stipend can not accept another position.

If I am a Graduate Assistant (Provost approved) can I work outside of my Graduate Assistant assignment?
No.  Graduate Assistants are contracted for 20 hours and it is considered their one and only position.  Graduate Assistants cannot simultaneoulsy work as a student worker.

What is Federal Work Study (FWS)?
Federal Work Study is a federal grant that eligible student receive working in a part-time position on campus. In order to be students must have filed a FAFSA and have financial need.  Because financial aid can change throughout the year, FWS eligibility can also change.

What is University Funded (UF)?
University funded is funding paid directly from the department in which the student works. University funded students do not have to demonstrate financial need therefore all students are eligible for employment under UF.  Students who are no longer eligible for FWS may be switched to UF if the department's budget allows it. In the event a student has reached their FWS award the students would be switched to UF. Departmental funds are maintained and allocated by the hiring department. .

How many hours can I work?
Students may work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year.  During the summer and specifically defined times, as assigned by Student Employment, students may work up to 29 hours per week.

I was awarded Federal Work Study on my Financial Aid Notice.  Does this guarantee me a job?
No.  There are more students than positions, students must apply and be hired for a position.  The Office of Student Employment does not place students in positions.

Do I have to complete an I-9 form every year?
No, you must complete the I-9 form once.

Do I have to complete a W-4 form every year?
No. However, if you wish to change any information, you must complete a new form in the Payroll Office, located in Bayley Hall. This office maintains all W-4 forms.The Student Employment Office is not responsible for the collection or processing of W-4 forms or Direct Deposit forms.

Can I change positions during the year?
Yes,however you are required to notify the department currently employed and the office of Student Employment. You are not eligible to begin working for the new department until your paperwork has been processed and you have been notified of your eligibility to being working from the Office of Student Employment. It is strongly recommended students remain with the department until the end of a pay period and do not begin working until they have received approval from Student Employment.

Contact Us

Office of Student Employment
(973) 275-2322
(973) 761-9085
Bayley Hall


Sign In to PirateNet