Office of Student Employment

Supervisor Resources


Award Year Information

Undergraduate and Graduate students are hired for a specific award period. Each award period has specific eligibility requirements which can affect the students funding or employment eligibility. Each award period is as follows:

  • Academic Year (early Sept-mid May):  This period consists of the fall and spring semesters. Federal regulations require that any part of a pay period where classes are in session be considered part of the Academic year, all guidelines defined in the Student Employment Policy and Procedures are in effect. Only on the directive of Student Employment can an exception be made.
  • Summer 1 (mid May-late June):  This award period falls under the summer guidelines however funding is based on the student’s current Financial Aid award.  For example, students working in May/June of 2015 are paid based on the award for the 2014-15 Fiscal Year.  
  • Summer 2 (July-early Sept.):  This award period falls under the summer guidelines however funding is based on the student’s Financial Aid award for the upcoming Fall and Spring semesters. For example earnings are charged to the 2015-16 FY in the first pay period that ends in July.  Even if part of the pay period is in June, it is considered July earnings.  

Students are eligible to begin working only after receiving the final approval via e-mail.


There are two types of funding available to students.  Federal Work Study and University Funded Student Employment.

Federal Work Study funds are available to students who have applied for financial aid and still have a remaining need. Funds are provided by the federal government. If a student's earnings reach the limit of the work study award for the FY, subsequent earnings will be charged to the department's budget.

University funded students are paid 100% directly from departmental budgets.  The student earnings will be charged to the department’s budget line.


In the near future, reports will be provided to supervisors with the information needed to assist them in tracking earnings and students. Those who are working under Federal Work Study will show earnings. Those students who are department funded and currently employed will be listed, but earnings will not be provided. That information can be obtained from the department's Budget Manager.

Contact Us

Office of Student Employment
(973) 275-2322
(973) 761-9085
Bayley Hall


Sign In to PirateNet