Department of Student Life

Know the Code - Alcohol-Designated Areas

Know the Code

Students under the age of 21 are prohibited from use and or possession of alcohol!!

Only residents and their guests, who are 21 years of age and over, may legally possess and consume alcoholic beverages in their rooms and/or in the rooms of other students 21 years of age (and over), and only if they live in alcohol designated living areas.
WHAT IT MEANS – The alcohol-designated areas are Cabrini Hall, Neumann Hall, Ora Manor, Turrell Manor, Serra Hall and Xavier Hall. In these buildings, the consumption of alcohol is STILL prohibited in all public areas including University housing property.

Any individual bringing alcohol into University housing must show appropriate identification (such as driver’s license, ABC card and/or County ID) to the person working at the residence hall reception desk. Seton Hall students must have their SHU ID scanned for validation of legal drinking age.
WHAT IT MEANS: All alcohol must be signed in and accounted for with appropriate identification. Personal consumption = (1) 6 pack of beer OR 1 Liter of liquor OR wine. You may not sign in more than this amount of alcohol.

Intoxication as exhibited by behavior is prohibited!
WHAT IT MEANS – If you look/act/seem intoxicated… We are going to call the South Orange Rescue Squad (SORS) to have you evaluated!  Better safe than sorry!

If a University official has reason to believe that alcohol is being transported in a non-designated area, or by an individual  under 21 years of age, the University official has the right to check any packages, book bags, etc.
WHAT IT MEANS – A University Official (ex. Security Officer, RD and/or RA) can request to see your SHU ID card and check packages, book bags, etc.

Students transported to the hospital for alcohol abuse are subject to disciplinary action including a $350 fine!
WHAT IT MEANS – Engaging in irresponsible use or abuse of alcohol can result in sanctions and fines!

The involvement of alcohol and/or other drugs is not considered a legitimate excuse for violation of any University policy.
WHAT IT MEANS – Just because you were DRUNK doesn’t make it ok!  Parents or legal guardian will be notified if their student is found to be in violation of this policy!!  For a complete description of the Seton Hall University Residence Hall Alcohol Policy »

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Does the University have jurisdiction over off-campus incidents?
    Seton Hall University has jurisdiction over student conduct that occurs on University property, or involving SHU students or in connection with official University functions (i.e. – basketball games at the Prudential Center) whether on or off University property. The University reserves the right to adjudicate students for off-campus violations that would normally be considered violations of the Community Standards had they occurred on-campus.
  2. I have received a “Official Correspondence” letter. What does this mean?
    This means that the Office of Community Standards has received an incident report, alleging that you have violated the University Community Standards. The initial conference is your opportunity to meet with a student conduct officer to discuss the complaint.
  3. Do I have to go to the Initial Conference meeting? It is certainly in your best interest to be present at the Initial Conference. This is your opportunity to hear the incident report against you and offer your side of the story, if you choose. You are not obligated to speak at the initial conference. Ignoring the request will NOT make the problem go away. If you do not attend the preliminary review, the disciplinary process will continue with or without your input.
  4. What is a Community Standards Review Board Hearing?
    A Community Standards Review Board Hearing is a review of an open community standards case where the evidence and all things related are reviewed. The process is conducted by a panel of two students and one faculty/administrative member. A step-by-step explanation of the University Hearing process is available in the Community Standards. If it is believed that a student has participated in the violation of a Community Standard and he or she does not accept responsibility for violating the Community Standard, the matter will be referred to the Community Standards Review Board.
  5. What if I am found responsible?
    A sanction will be imposed. A list of possible sanctions is available on the Community Standards website.
  6. Can I appeal a sanction if I am found to be responsible?
    Yes, in your final sanction letter, there will be details about your appeal options. The appeal must meet one of the criteria listed below to be considered:
    • The severity of the sanction is disproportionate to the violation committed.
    • There was a significant procedural error before the Community Standards Review Board or applicable Student Conduct Administrator, citing specific examples.
    • To consider new information sufficient to alter a decision not brought out in the original hearing
    because such information and/or facts were not reasonably available at the time of the hearing.
  7. Will my parents find out?
    In the case of a student who is under the age of 21 and has violated the Community Standard as it related to alcohol, a letter will be sent to the student’s parents only stating that there was a violation of the University Alcohol and or Drug policy, as a part of the educational conversation. This is also true for the violation of the Community Standards as it relates to Drugs.
  8. If I was unaware of the community standards, will I still be held accountable?
    Every student is responsible for knowing what the Community Standards are. Ignorance to the Community Standards will not serve as an excuse for violating policy.  The Community Standards can be found here »
Contact Us

Department of Student Life
(973) 761-9076
Bishop Dougherty University Center

Sign In to PirateNet