What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is a web-based course management system. It is accessible through PirateNet at https://piratenet.shu.edu from any computer with Internet access, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Blackboard is not just a place to upload syllabi and other course materials. There are numerous tools available, many of them interactive:
- Discussion board
- Assignment submission with plagiarism detection
- Group projects
- Tests and surveys
- Grade Center
- Statistical information on student activity
How do I log into Blackboard?
- Access Blackboard through PirateNet at https://piratenet.shu.edu.
- Enter your username and password to log in. The naming convention for the username is an 8 letter combination of the last and first name consisting of the first 6 letters of the last name plus the first 2 letters of the first name. If the last name is less than 6 characters, the full name is used plus the number of letter from the first name required to equal an 8 character login name. For example, John Miller would have a login name of millerjo and John Smith would have a login name of smithjoh. You will need to contact the Technology Service Desk if you do not know your default password. We strongly encourage you to change your password after logging into your account for the first time.
For questions regarding specific account problems or for information on how to reset your password, please contact the Technology Service Desk.
I could log into Blackboard yesterday, but now I can't. What happened?
Your password may have expired. Faculty passwords expire every 90 days; student passwords will expire 120 days after the last password change. Employee, vendor and contractor passwords will expire 60 days after the last password change.
I'm teaching a class, but I don't see it in Blackboard. What's wrong?
You are not listed as the instructor of record in Banner. If you don't see your course when you log into Piratenet, check with your department. Once they list you as instructor in Banner, you will be added to the course in Blackboard the next day.
I teach multiple sections of the same course. Each section has its own Blackboard site. Do I have to post the same information in each section?
You can, but you don't have to! We can combine your sections into one Blackboard site for you. Contact your department’s instructional designer to submit a request to combine course sections.
If you wish to retain separate sections, you may copy materials from one section to another.
How do I add students to my course?
You don't have to. Students are automatically enrolled in your Blackboard course site as soon as they register for the class.
What else is Blackboard used for besides classes?
- Academic departments use Blackboard to post information for and communicate with majors and minors. If you are a department chair or program director and would like to use Blackboard, please submit a request.
- If you are advising a club that is registered with Student Activities, you may use Blackboard to communicate with your members. Request an organization!
Which browsers are compatible with Blackboard?
Blackboard has compiled a compatibility matrix to show which browsers work with your operating system. View the compatibility matrix »
Where can I learn more about Blackboard?
- The Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center provides hands-on workshops and web-based demonstrations on various Blackboard topics throughout the semester. Find out when the next sessions are on our calendar.
- If you can't make our scheduled workshops, contact us to set up a one-on-one consultation!
- Bookmark TLTC's Tech Tips Blog for helpful tips, scheduled maintenance announcements, and more.
- Follow us on Twitter!
Who do I contact for help with Blackboard?
Please contact the Technology Service Desk.