Roger B. Alfani, Ph.D.
Roger B. Alfani, Ph.D.
He completed his Ph.D. in religious studies and peacebuilding at the University of Montreal, Canada, where he previously studied theology and biblical studies for his M.A. He also holds an Executive M.S. degree in International Affairs with specialization in Foreign Policy Analysis from Seton Hall University.
Alfani’s current research projects explore the nexus between religion and foreign policy, and the relation between religion, resilience, and refugees. He is also interested in the role of religious actors in peacebuilding efforts in the Great Lakes Region of Africa, in general, and in the Democratic Republic of Congo, in particular. Other research interests of Alfani cover international relations, local ownership, and African theologies. He is the author of the recently published book Religious Peacebuilding in the Democratic Republic of Congo (Peter Lang, 2019).
In the classroom, Alfani uses a participatory method built upon three main pillars, namely knowledge and experience dissemination, mutual learning, and attitude of fairness. He does not only provide a space (which becomes a community) conducive to a positive and effective learning experience through "power-sharing" and "engaged pedagogy" strategies, but he also ensures that each student thinks critically (and develops this skill) and invites them to share their thoughts.
- Ph.D. University of Montreal
- Executive M.S., Seton Hall University
- M.A., University of Montreal
- Jon P. Radwan and Alfani B. Roger. “Communicating Transcendent Love: Interpersonal Encounter and Church-State Transitions in Fratelli Tutti” in Religions, 2022 13 (5), “Catholic Church-State Relations in Global Transition.” Edited by Jo Renee Formicola.
- Alfani, B. Roger, “Refugees, Religion, and Resilience in Sub-Saharan Africa” in Sabella O. Abidde(ed.). "The Challenges of Refugees and Internally Displaced Persons in Africa." Springer: Switzerland, 2021.
- Alfani B. Roger, Bartoli Andrea, and Mauro Garofalo (2020). "Seeking Peace through Insights: The Community of Sant' Egidio in the Central African Republic," Theoforum, Vol. 48, No 1/2020 "The Insight Approach to Transforming Conflict and Making Peace: Social Practice and Spiritual Action," Edited by Jamie Price and David Peddle.
- Alfani B. Roger. Religious Peacebuilding in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Peter Lang: New York (2019).
- "U.S. Foreign Policy and Religious Exceptionalism in the Trump Era" International Policy Digest, March 29, 2019.
- "Do Elections Really Matter in the Congo" International Policy Digest, January 25, 2019.
- "Leaving No One Behind: A Partnership between the United Nations and Faith-Based Organizations," Journal of Diplomacy, September 28, 2018.
- "Religion et transformation des conflits: le rôle des Églises à Goma en RDCongo (1990–2010)," dans Moda, Dieng (dir.), Évolutions politiques en Afrique: entre autoritarisme, démocratisation, construction de la paix et défis internes. Academia-L'Harmattan: Louvain-la-Neuve, 2015, 154p, pp. 87–110.
- "Construction de la paix par les Églises: Une appropriation locale des processus de paix?" revue Scriptura, Vol. 15 no 1, 2015, pp. 85–103.
- "Rôle des Églises dans la transformation des conflits: cas de Goma", dans Benoit Awazi Mbambi (dir.), Les intellectuels africains au Canada: missions, figures, visions et leaderships. L'Harmattan: Paris, 2015, 390p, pp. 219–242.
- Professor Alfani was recently (2022) awarded a collaborative National Endowment for the Humanities grant to conduct a multi-sited study that will feature the voices of Congolese refugees (including returnees) who reside in multiple locations (US, Kenya, and Burundi).