Matthew Hale, Ph.D.
Department of Political Science and Public Affairs
I'm currently an Associate Professor for the Department of Political Science and Public Affairs at Seton Hall University.
My research focuses on how the media covers the public and nonprofit sectors. Recently, my articles have appeared in The Journal of Nonprofit Education & Leadership, The International Journal of Press Politics, Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, Mass Communication Society, and the Stanford Law Policy Review. You can see my most recent research on my web page.
I am also a regular media commentator on New Jersey politics. In 2016, I appeared in over 250 news articles from around the country. I am a regular guest on local television news programs like “On the Record” with Michael Aron as well as Power & Politics on News 12. In addition, I write a regular column called “So… What about this?” for the influential New Jersey political web site InsiderNJ.com. Sometimes this gets me in trouble with politicians but it is well worth it.
I am also currently the president of the Nonprofit Academic Centers Council (NACC) and have served as the chair of the Nonprofit Section of NASPAA as well as a board member.
At Seton Hall, I have taught many courses in our M.P.A. program including the Environment of Public Service, Public Policy Analysis, Public Sector Leadership, Public Sector Ethics, Financial Management and Budgeting, Research Methods, and Strategic Management and Governance.
My interest in politics precedes my academic life. I worked as an aide to California Senator Barbara Boxer and in the press and candidate advance operations for several local, state and national political campaigns. I currently live in central New Jersey with my amazing wife Carrie and three great kids, Eva (15) and Zach (13) and David (5). When I am not teaching, writing, talking on TV or chasing after the children, I play competitive tennis and slightly competitive baseball and softball. My tennis team won the USTA National 3.0 championship in 2016.
- Ph.D., University of Southern California, 2002
- M.P.A., University of Southern California, 1997
- B.A., University of California Irvine, 1991
- Hale, Matthew & Irvin, Renee (2017) A Position Paper on Accreditation on Nonprofit/Philanthropy University Curricula. Journal of Nonprofit Education & Leadership Vol. 7. Special Edition 1.
- Hale, Matthew (2017) Nonprofit Investigative Journalism: A Snapshot of Content and Research. A research report for the John Logan Family Foundation. Presented at the 2017 Logan Symposium University of California at Berkeley April 28, 2017
- Hale, M., Wish. M; Calkins, B and Johri, N. (June, 2011). NGO Capacity Building Training Curriculum. Wrote and developed a NGO management training program for a U.S. State Department funded program delivered in Duhok, Iraq in June and July of 2011.
- Kaplan. M., & Hale, M., (2010) Local TV News in the Los Angeles Media Market: Are Stations Serving the Public Interest? The Norman Lear Center & Annenberg School for Communication Research Report.
- "A Matter of Language or Culture: Coverage of the 2004 U.S. Elections of Spanish- and English-language Television." Mass Communication and Society, 12(1), 26- 51, April 2009.
"Spanish- and English-language Local Television News Coverage of Politics and the Tendency to Cater to Latino Audiences." The International Journal of Press/ Politics, 14(2), 232- 256, April 2009.
"Does local news measure up?" Stanford Law and Policy Review, 18(377), 410- 431, October 2007.
"Superficial Friends: A content analysis of newspaper coverage of nonprofits." Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly, 36(3), 465- 486. September 2007.