Pastoral Theology seeks not only deeper knowledge of God but also the enhancement of pastoral practice. It seeks these ends by means of reflecting on the experiences of pastoral ministers, the Christian community, and humanity as a whole in light of revelation and the insights of the other areas of theology and human inquiry. Attentive to the experiences of contemporary people and present social circumstances, Pastoral Theology develops and tests new means for drawing people into communion with Christ and the life of the Church. Its areas of inquiry and competency are diverse, including evangelization, liturgy, preaching, administration, counseling, catechesis, social ministry, spirituality, and canon law.
Patrick Manning, Ph.D.
Full-time faculty and areas of specialization
- Patrick R. Manning, Ph.D.
Areas of specialization: Religious Education; Contemplative Pedagogy; Theological Anthropology
- Dianne M. Traflet, J.D., S.T.D.
Areas of specialization: Marian Spirituality; Vocation; Women Mystics; St. Edith Stein; Spirituality
Adjunct faculty and areas of specialization
- Julie V. Burkey, D.Min.
Areas of specialization: Theology of Work; Catholic Evangelization; New Evangelization and Catechesis; Spiritual Formation for Lay Leadership in Pastoral Ministry
- Reverend Monsignor T. Mark Condon, J.C.D.
Areas of specialization: Canon Law
- Reverend Manuel Duenas, J.C.L.
Areas of specialization: Canon Law
- Reverend Paul S. Manning, M.Div.
Areas of specialization: Evangelization
- Reverend Krzysztof Maslowski, S.T.D.
Areas of specialization: Family studies; Homiletics and Oral Communication; Liturgy
- Reverend Monsignor Gerard McCarren, S.T.D.
Areas of specialization: Spiritual Direction; Liturgy; John Henry Newman
- Sister Rose McDermott, S.S.J., J.C.D.
Areas of specialization: Canon Law; Sacramental Theology
- Reverend William M. McDonald, III, S.T.L.
Areas of specialization: Pastoral Leadership/Teambuilding; Stewardship
- John D. Nowik, M.M.
Areas of specialization: Liturgy and Liturgical Music
- Very Reverend Charles Pinyan, D.Min. (Cand.)
Areas of specialization: Homiletics; Liturgy
- Reverend Stephen Sansevere, D.Min.
Areas of specialization: Homiletics
- Deacon Thomas P. Shubeck, Ph.D.
Areas of specialization: Counseling Psychology; Marriage and Family Therapy
- PTHO 6013: Curricular Practical Training Internship I
- PTHO 6014: Curricular Practical Training Internship II
- PTHO 6015: Curricular Practical Training Internship III
- PTHO 6016: Curricular Practical Training Internship IV
- PTHO 6017: Pastoral Spanish I
- PTHO 6018: Pastoral Spanish II
- PTHO 6019: Pastoral Spanish III
- PTHO 6020: Pastoral Spanish IV
- PTHO 6108: Introduction to Preaching for Deacons
- PTHO 6109: Introduction to Preaching
- PTHO 6112: Preaching Practicum I
- PTHO 6113: Preaching Practicum II
- PTHO 6136 (STHO 6136): Great Spiritual Biographies
- PTHO 6194 (STHO 6194): Theology of the Permanent Diaconate
- PTHO 6199 (STHO 6199): Psychology for Theologians
- PTHO 6203: Pastoral Psychology and Counseling
- PTHO 6204: Pastoral Counseling/ Psychology of the Chronically Ill and Disabled
- PTHO 6224: Theology of the Body
- PTHO 6244 (STHO 6244): Prayer, Discipleship and Community
- PTHO 6254 (CETH 6254/STHO 6254): Theology and Spirituality of Marriage and Family
- PTHO 6266 (CETH 6266): Spirituality of Disability
- PTHO 6267 (BIBL 6231): Suffering and the Book of Job
- PTHO 6299 (STHO 6299): Tools for Effective Ministry
- PTHO 6332 (STHO 6332): New Evangelization and Catechesis
- PTHO 6333 (STHO 6333): Evangelizing Church
- PTHO 6334 (HSTD 6334/STHO 6334): Catholic Evangelization
- PTHO 6345 (STHO 6345): Vatican II & the New Evangelization
- PTHO 6396 (BIBL 6529/STHO 6533): Spirituality of the Old Testament
- PTHO 6401: Canon Law General
- PTHO 6403 (STHO 6403): Sacramental Life: Canonical Issues
- PTHO 6405: Canon Law of Marriage
- PTHO 6409 (STHO 6409): Sacraments of Initiation & Canon Law
- PTHO 6419 (HSTD 6412): Conversion and Vocation: Augustine and Monica
- PTHO 6426 (HSTD 6426): Priesthood in the Fathers
- PTHO 6447 (STHO 6447): Catholic Apologetics
- PTHO 6500: Evangelization and Sanctification
- PTHO 6501: Teaching, Catechetics & Apologetics
- PTHO 6503: Liturgical Practicum
- PTHO 6516 (STHO 6506): Eucharist and the Family
- PTHO 6518: Integrating Music and Liturgical Celebration
- PTHO 6535 (BIBL 6535): The Scriptural Sources and Meaning of the Lord’s Prayer
- PTHO 6570 (BIBL 6570): Mary in Sacred Scripture
- PTHO 6571 (BIBL 6571): The Parables of Jesus
- PTHO 6572 (STHO 6572): Ecumenical Dialogue and Mary
- PTHO 6575 (STHO 6575): Ministry of the Laity
- PTHO 6587 (STHO 6587): Psychology of Religion
- PTHO 6588 (CETH 6588/STHO 6588): Christianity and Human Happiness
- PTHO 6601: Pastoral Ministry: Introduction
- PTHO 6655 (CETH 6655): Contemporary Pastoral-Ethical Issues
- PTHO 6705 (STHO 6576): Marian Spirituality
- PTHO 6710 (HSTD 6710): Women Mystics
- PTHO 6715: Spiritual Direction
- PTHO 6718: Spirituality and Contemporary Culture
- PTHO 6724 (BIBL 6724): Jewish Roots of Christian Spirituality
- PTHO 6726 (HSTD 6310): History of Spirituality
- PTHO 6728 (STHO 6728): Theology of the Spiritual Life
- PTHO 6743: Spirituality of St. Francis
- PTHO 6758 (CETH 6421): Theology of Work
- PTHO 6772 (HSTD 6416): Confessions of Saint Augustine
- PTHO 6774 (STHO 6774): Theology and Practice of Prayer
- PTHO 6803 (BIBL 6803): Biblical Prayer & Spirituality
- PTHO 6939: Parish Administration
- PTHO 9101: Integration Seminar